Tips to Fall Asleep
If you have trouble falling asleep, you are not alone. A recent survey showed that 164 million Americans have trouble falling asleep. Sleep is incredibly important to our lives and well-being. There are a few science-based tricks to help you to fall asleep faster. Here are some tips to fall asleep fast!
The Military Method
- Relax your entire face, including the muscles inside your mouth.
- Drop your shoulders to release the tension and let your hands drop to the side of your body.
- Exhale, relaxing your chest.
- Relax your legs, thighs, and calves.
- Clear your mind for 10 seconds by imagining a relaxing scene.
- If this doesn’t work, try saying the words “don’t think” over and over for 10 seconds.
- Within 10 seconds, you should fall asleep! (Healthline.com)
4-7-8 Breathing Method
- Let your lips part slightly and make a whooshing sound as you exhale through your mouth.
- Then close your lips and inhale silently through your nose. Count to 4 in your head.
- Then hold your breath for 7 seconds.
- After, exhale (with a whoosh sound) for 8 seconds.
- Avoid being too alert at the end of each cycle. Try to practice it mindlessly.
- Complete this cycle for four full breaths. Let your body sleep if you feel relaxation coming on earlier than anticipated. (Healthline.com)
Concentrate on Your Body
This one is almost scary because it works so well. It may not seem like it would work, but concentrating on each separate part of your body will help you to fall asleep faster. Start with your toes. Think about your toes, how they feel, and how they look. Then move up to your heels, ankles, etc. until you reach your face. Relax your jaw and bring your eyebrows down. Think about each separate facial feature and how they feel. This allows your brain to relax and to focus on one thing, instead of letting your mind wander. The important part is that you take it slow. The whole process should take between 5-7 minutes. If it does not work the first time, try repeating it until you eventually fall asleep. There are several different brain exercises that you can do to calm your body down. For more tips to fall asleep fast, check out more of our blogs on Caregogi.com